Saturday, April 28, 2012

Water Damage

Our kids have computers and they don't always handle them gently, and I patch them up as best I can.  I will get to Bobby's latest problem with his MacBook but first I must explain the water damage and how we dealt with that.  He spilled Propel (a soft drink, not much sugar thank goodness) on his MacBook keyboard and it stopped working.

I let the laptop just sit for a few weeks, not plugged in.  The liquid will mostly evaporate if one has patience.  Then I put it in the oven on the lowest setting "Warm" which looks to be about 150 degrees (F) for 10 minutes.  I took it out of the oven and let it cool for an hour.  The heat helps get out the last of the moisture.  Then I plugged it in and let it charge.  After it charged it booted up just fine and has been running for a couple of months now.

I can't say that this approach will always work, but it costs nothing and has saved several of our devices from the recycler.

No comments:

Post a Comment